I Started a YouTube Channel Because I Wanted to Be Famous… Now I Realize It Was Never About the Money ππ₯
Let me tell you something: when I started my YouTube channel, I had NO IDEA what I was doing.
None.
Zero.
Zilch.
I didn't have a business plan. I didn't have a production team. I didn't have a fancy camera. I didn't have a manager calling me saying, “Spencer, your audience is waiting!”
Chile, my audience wasn't waiting.
I was waiting on an audience! π
I just knew one thing: I wanted to be famous.
Yes, I said it.
I wanted people to know my name. I wanted people to recognize me. I wanted to turn on my phone and see people talking about my videos. I wanted the comments, the views, the attention and, of course, that YouTube money.
Let's not lie.
I wanted the coins.
I thought YouTube was going to be my little digital ATM.
Upload a video.
Get views.
Get paid.
Go shopping.
THE END.
Well… reality slapped me across the face harder than a Housewives reunion argument.
Because YouTube doesn't work like that.
And after years of making videos, experimenting, posting, learning, making mistakes and wondering why the heck some videos got attention while others disappeared into the YouTube wilderness, I realized something important:
It was never really about the money.
The money would be nice.
The fame would be nice.
The viral moment would DEFINITELY be nice.
But something changed.
I discovered that creating content gave me something money couldn't buy.
It gave me a voice.
It gave me somewhere to be creative.
It gave me a place to talk about the things I love.
And most importantly, it gave me a reason to keep creating.
I Wanted Fame… But I Didn't Know What I Was Famous FOR
Let's keep it real.
When I started my YouTube journey, I didn't have some amazing talent that was going to make Hollywood executives kick down my door.
I wasn't the next Michael Jackson.
I wasn't Whitney Houston.
I wasn't Diana Ross.
I wasn't BeyoncΓ©.
And let's REALLY talk.
I looked at celebrities and thought:
“How did they become famous?”
Some people can sing.
Some can dance.
Some can act.
Some can play sports.
Some are comedians.
Some are entrepreneurs.
And then there are people who become famous simply because people become fascinated with their lives.
I'm looking at you, reality television!
And yes, I'm going to say it:
Kim Kardashian didn't exactly become famous because she walked into Hollywood with a Grammy-winning singing voice.
Her talent was understanding attention, branding, storytelling and how to keep people watching.
And that taught me something.
You don't necessarily have to be the most talented person in the room.
You have to figure out what makes people want to stay in the room with you.
That's a completely different skill.
And THAT is where I started learning.
My YouTube Channel Became My Classroom
At first, I was just uploading videos.
I didn't know about thumbnails.
I didn't understand SEO.
I didn't understand titles.
I didn't understand audience retention.
I didn't know why people clicked one video and ignored another.
I didn't know why one video could get attention while another video sat there looking abandoned.
YouTube became my classroom.
Every upload taught me something.
Every flop taught me something.
Every view taught me something.
Every comment taught me something.
And every time I thought:
“Why isn't anybody watching this?”
I had to ask myself:
“Would YOU click on this?”
Ouch.
That's when the truth started hitting.
Sometimes the problem wasn't YouTube.
Sometimes the problem was ME.
The title wasn't interesting.
The thumbnail wasn't giving.
The video took too long to get to the point.
Or maybe I was talking about something nobody cared about.
And that's when I realized that being a creator isn't just about creating.
It's about understanding your audience.
I Didn't Become Famous Overnight
Here's the messy part.
You can look online and see somebody get one million views and think:
“I'm about to do that tomorrow.”
Baby.
No.
You might post a video and get 17 views.
And then 11 of those views might be you checking whether anybody watched.
π
You start refreshing your analytics like:
“Maybe YouTube hasn't updated yet.”
Refresh.
Refresh.
Refresh.
Still 17.
Then you tell yourself:
“Well, 17 people is basically a stadium.”
Listen… you've got to encourage yourself!
But here's what I learned:
17 views doesn't mean you're a failure.
It means 17 people gave you a piece of their time.
And that matters.
Because every big creator once had a tiny audience.
Everybody starts somewhere.
The difference is that some people quit before the audience gets there.
Then Something Changed
Eventually, my thinking changed.
I stopped looking at YouTube only as a way to make money.
I started looking at it as a way to build something.
That's a huge difference.
When you only care about money, every low-view video feels like rejection.
When you care about building something, every video becomes another brick in the building.
That's when I started enjoying the process more.
I could talk about reality television.
I could discuss music.
I could share opinions.
I could create stories.
I could experiment.
I could be funny.
I could be dramatic.
I could be messy.
And let's be honest…
I LOVE A LITTLE GOSSIP.
π
YouTube gave me somewhere to put all of that energy.
And suddenly, the channel wasn't just about money anymore.
It was about expression.
It was about community.
It was about having something that belonged to me.
Here's My Advice: 5 Steps If You Want to Start a YouTube Channel
If you're sitting there thinking about starting a channel, let me save you some time.
You don't need to know everything before you start.
I didn't.
But you do need to start.
STEP 1: STOP WAITING FOR THE PERFECT IDEA
This is where people get stuck.
“I don't know what my channel should be about.”
“I don't have a camera.”
“I don't have a studio.”
“I don't have money.”
“I don't have followers.”
“I don't know how to edit.”
Baby…
WELCOME TO YOUTUBE.
π
You don't need everything figured out.
Pick something you enjoy talking about.
Reality TV?
Music?
Cooking?
Travel?
Books?
Fashion?
Sports?
Movies?
Storytelling?
Your life experiences?
Start there.
Your channel can evolve.
My advice is to create your first 10 videos before worrying about creating the perfect brand.
Your first video probably won't be amazing.
Your second might be better.
By video number 10, you'll look back at number one and say:
“WHO LET ME POST THAT?”
That's growth.
STEP 2: USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE
Don't let equipment stop you.
You don't need a Hollywood studio.
You don't need a $5,000 camera.
You don't need a green screen bigger than your apartment.
You need an idea and something that can record it.
A phone can be enough to start.
The most expensive camera in the world can't save boring content.
And a basic phone can create something amazing if the person using it knows how to tell a story.
Focus on:
Good lighting.
Clear audio.
Interesting titles.
Strong thumbnails.
A reason for people to keep watching.
That's more important than showing off equipment.
Because nobody watching your video cares that your camera cost $3,000 if your video is boring.
OUCH.
But somebody needed to say it.
STEP 3: GIVE PEOPLE A REASON TO CLICK
This is where YouTube gets messy.
You can make the greatest video ever created.
But if nobody clicks it…
Nobody sees it.
Your title matters.
Your thumbnail matters.
Your first few seconds matter.
Instead of making a video called:
“Today's Video”
Try something that creates curiosity.
For example:
“5 Things Reality TV Never Tells You”
or
“I Finally Realized Why My YouTube Channel Wasn't Growing”
Now I want to know what happened.
That's the point.
Don't lie.
Don't create fake drama.
Don't make promises your video doesn't deliver.
But make people curious.
Because curiosity is one of the strongest reasons people click.
STEP 4: DON'T LET LOW VIEWS HUMILIATE YOU
This one is important.
Your first 10 videos may flop.
Your first 50 might flop.
You might post something you think is hilarious and YouTube responds:
“Girl, goodbye.”
π
Don't take it personally.
Learn from the data.
Ask:
Did people click?
Did they watch?
Where did they leave?
What titles worked?
What topics worked?
Which videos got comments?
Which videos got shared?
YouTube is giving you information.
Use it.
Don't just stare at the number and cry.
Study the number.
There is a difference.
And please don't compare your Chapter 1 to somebody else's Chapter 25.
You're seeing their success.
You're not seeing all the videos they made that nobody watched.
You're not seeing the years they spent learning.
You're not seeing the mistakes.
You're seeing the final product.
That's not fair to you.
STEP 5: FIND YOUR “WHY”
This is probably the most important step.
Why are you doing this?
If your only answer is:
“I want money.”
You might get frustrated very quickly.
Because there will be days when the money isn't coming.
There will be videos that flop.
There will be people who don't like you.
There will be comments that make you question your entire existence.
And there will be moments when you wonder:
“Why am I doing this?”
That's when your WHY matters.
Maybe you want to entertain people.
Maybe you want to educate people.
Maybe you want to build a business.
Maybe you want to document your life.
Maybe you want to become a creator.
Maybe you simply want somewhere to express yourself.
Whatever it is, find it.
Because money can be motivation.
But purpose is what keeps you going.
And Yes… I Still Want to Be Famous π
Let me not sit here and act brand new.
Do I still want to be famous?
YES!
π
Absolutely.
I would love for people to know my name.
I would love for my music to reach thousands or millions of people.
I would love for somebody to stop me and say:
“Aren't you Spencer?”
And I'll probably say:
“Yes, darling. That's me!”
Don't play.
π
But now I understand that fame shouldn't be the only goal.
Because fame without purpose can become exhausting.
Money without meaning can become empty.
And followers without connection are just numbers.
I would rather build a community of people who actually enjoy what I'm creating.
That's worth more to me.
What YouTube Taught Me About Myself
The biggest surprise wasn't learning YouTube.
It was learning myself.
I discovered that I like creating.
I like talking.
I like entertaining.
I like storytelling.
I like music.
I like discussing television.
I like making people laugh.
I like being dramatic.
And yes…
I like a little mess.
But most importantly, I learned that I don't need somebody else to give me permission to create.
I can pick up my phone and make something.
That's powerful.
You don't have to wait for Hollywood.
You don't have to wait for a record label.
You don't have to wait for a publisher.
You don't have to wait for somebody important to discover you.
Start creating.
Let people discover you while you're already moving.
The Bottom Line
When I started YouTube, I thought I was chasing fame.
I thought I was chasing money.
I thought the goal was to become somebody everybody knew.
But years later, I realize I was actually building something much more valuable:
A voice.
A creative outlet.
A digital home.
A place where I could experiment.
A place where I could fail.
A place where I could learn.
A place where I could grow.
And maybe that's the real lesson.
Don't start creating because you think you're guaranteed to become famous.
Start because you have something inside you that needs to come out.
You might make money.
You might become famous.
You might go viral.
You might build a business.
Or you might simply discover something about yourself that you never knew existed.
And honestly?
That's still a win.
So if you've been thinking about starting a YouTube channel, stop talking about it.
Stop waiting.
Stop worrying about what people will say.
Stop worrying about whether your first video is perfect.
Grab your phone.
Turn on the camera.
And press record.
Because somewhere out there is the person who needs to hear what you have to say.
And if 10 people watch?
Talk to those 10 people.
If 100 watch?
Talk to those 100.
If 10,000 watch?
Honey, better have something to say! π
And if one day millions are watching?
Remember where you started.
Because everybody wants the spotlight.
But very few people are willing to stand on the stage when the lights aren't even on yet.
That's where I started.
And I'm still creating.
NOW IT'S YOUR TURN! π₯π₯
Are you thinking about starting a YouTube channel?
Tell me in the comments:
What would YOUR channel be about?
Would you talk about music? Reality TV? Cooking? Fashion? Storytelling? Your personal journey?
Drop your answer below.
And if you enjoyed this story, share this post with somebody who's always saying, “I want to start a YouTube channel someday.”
Tell them:
SOMEDAY IS TODAY.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow my creative journey, and let's see where this thing goes.
Because who knows?
Maybe the next person reading this isn't just going to start a YouTube channel.
Maybe they're going to build an empire. ππ₯π₯
No comments:
Post a Comment