I’m Not Taking Dating Advice From Reality TV: The First Red Flag Is My Exit Sign π©
ππΎ♂️
Let me say this before somebody gets offended: I am NOT taking dating advice from reality TV.
Not from the people crying in confessionals.
Not from the person who has been dating three people at the same time.
Not from the person saying, “I didn't come here to make friends.”
And definitely not from the person who sees seventeen red flags and says, “But I feel like there’s something special about them.”
Baby, special where?
Because once I see the red flags waving, I’m not sitting around waiting for a miracle, a proposal, a reunion special or a dramatic season finale.
I’m running.
Reality TV Dating Is NOT Real Life
Reality dating shows can be entertaining. I’ll watch the arguments, the flirting, the breakups, the tears and the reunion where everybody suddenly has receipts.
But let's be honest: these people are often living in a completely different dating universe.
There are cameras everywhere.
There are producers.
There are confessionals.
There are people being encouraged to have conversations they probably wouldn't normally have.
And there are contestants staying in situations that most of us would have left three arguments ago.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting at home thinking:
“Why are you still there?”
If somebody tells you they aren't ready for a relationship, believe them.
If somebody constantly disappears and comes back with excuses, pay attention.
If somebody disrespects you and then says you're “too sensitive,” that's another red flag.
If somebody wants all the benefits of a relationship but refuses to actually commit?
That's not a mystery. That's a warning label.
I Don't Need a Dating Show To Teach Me About Red Flags
Some people need a whole season to figure out somebody isn't right for them.
I don't.
I don't need six episodes, a reunion and a spinoff.
The first red flag is enough.
And I'm not saying everybody who makes a mistake should immediately be thrown away. Relationships are complicated. People have bad days. Nobody is perfect.
But there is a difference between imperfection and a pattern of disrespect.
That's where I draw the line.
One bad day?
We can talk.
A misunderstanding?
Let's communicate.
A repeated pattern of lying, manipulation, disrespect, jealousy or controlling behavior?
Pack your bags.
And I'm not asking the group chat to vote on it either.
The Red Flag Olympics
Reality dating shows have taught me one thing, though: people can become professional excuse-makers.
“He's just scared.”
“She had a difficult childhood.”
“He doesn't know how to communicate.”
“She really likes me deep down.”
“He only cheated because he was confused.”
PLEASE.
At some point, you have to stop writing somebody's biography and start looking at their behavior.
Because I don't care how attractive somebody is.
I don't care how good the chemistry is.
I don't care how many butterflies are flying around my stomach.
If the relationship comes with emotional chaos every Tuesday, I'm unavailable.
I don't want to be starring in The Real Housewives of My Own Stress.
Chemistry Isn't Enough
Here's another lesson people on dating shows seem to forget:
Chemistry isn't compatibility.
You can have incredible chemistry with somebody who is completely wrong for you.
You can laugh all night with somebody who will have you crying the next morning.
You can be physically attracted to somebody who doesn't have the emotional maturity to maintain a healthy relationship.
That's why I'm paying attention to more than butterflies.
I'm watching how you communicate.
I'm watching how you treat people.
I'm watching how you handle disagreement.
I'm watching whether your words match your actions.
Because anybody can say:
“I really like you.”
The question is:
What are you actually doing about it?
I'm Not Waiting Until The Reunion
Reality dating shows love a reunion.
That's where everybody comes back months later and says:
“I knew something wasn't right.”
“I should have listened to my gut.”
“I saw the red flags.”
“I just didn't want to believe it.”
Well, I'm trying to skip the reunion altogether.
If my gut tells me something isn't right, I'm listening.
I'm not sticking around just so I can eventually tell everybody:
“See? I told y'all!”
I'd rather leave early than stay long enough to need a therapist, a vacation and a three-part reunion special.
My Dating Philosophy Is Simple
I don't need complicated dating rules.
I need common sense.
Respect me.
Communicate with me.
Be honest with me.
Know what you want.
Don't waste my time.
And please don't expect me to ignore behavior that would have somebody else running for the exit.
I'm not looking for perfection.
I'm looking for peace.
And peace is underrated.
Everybody wants excitement until the excitement turns into stress.
Everybody wants passion until the passion turns into constant arguments.
Everybody wants a “ride-or-die” relationship until they're the one doing all the riding while the other person is doing all the lying.
No thank you.
The Exit Door Is Right Over There πͺ
So no, I'm not taking relationship advice from reality dating shows.
I'll watch them.
I'll laugh at them.
I'll review them.
I'll probably yell at my television when somebody ignores an obvious red flag.
But I'm not copying their dating decisions.
Because when it comes to my own life, I know what I want.
And I know what I don't want.
The moment the red flags start flying, I'm not trying to turn them into decorations.
I'm not saying, “Maybe it's a green flag in disguise.”
I'm not waiting for somebody's representative to return.
I'm not auditioning for the role of “person who puts up with everything.”
I'm leaving.
Because dating shouldn't feel like surviving an episode of reality television.
And if I have to choose between being single and being in a relationship full of red flags?
Baby...
Give me my freedom, my peace and the remote.
I'll watch the drama on TV.
I don't need to live it.
What's Your Dating Red Flag?
What's the one red flag that makes you immediately say, “I'm outta here!” Is it lying? Cheating? Jealousy? Poor communication? Controlling behavior? Or something completely different?
Drop your thoughts in the comments—and let's talk about the red flags people should NEVER ignore.
Because love might be complicated, but protecting your peace doesn't have to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment