Thursday, October 1, 2026

Soul Train Is Coming Home to Chicago — And Anthony Anderson Has the Mic!

Soul Train Is Coming Home to Chicago — And Anthony Anderson Has the Mic!

Baby, somebody polish that Soul Train sign because the train is pulling back into Chicago!

The 2026 Soul Train Awards are headed to the Windy City, and according to the announcement, Anthony Anderson is taking over hosting duties. The celebration is set to air November 27 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on BET and CBS.

And all I can say is: Chicago, you better show OUT!

Because bringing Soul Train back to Chicago isn't just another awards-show location change. This is a full-circle moment for a franchise whose roots are tied to the city.

Soul Train Coming Back to Chicago Just Feels Right

Before Soul Train became a nationally recognized celebration of Black music, dancing, fashion and culture, its story started in Chicago with Don Cornelius.

That's why having the awards connected to Chicago again feels different.

This isn't just:

"Okay, where are we holding the show this year?"

No, baby.

This feels like Soul Train packing its luggage, looking around and saying:

"I've been gone long enough. Take me HOME!"

And Chicago said:

"Your room is still upstairs."

That's the kind of homecoming I want to see.

Anthony Anderson Hosting? Oh, This Could Get Messy!

Now let's talk about Anthony Anderson.

Anthony knows comedy. He knows television. He knows how to work a crowd.

And most importantly for an awards show, he has PERSONALITY.

Please don't give me three hours of somebody walking onto the stage, reading a teleprompter like they're announcing the lunch specials and disappearing backstage.

We need jokes.

We need crowd interaction.

We need Anthony looking into the audience after something crazy happens and making THAT FACE.

You already know the face.

I want the camera catching celebrities who weren't prepared for the joke.

I want somebody laughing too hard.

I want somebody else sitting there looking like:

"Was that supposed to be funny?"

THAT is awards-show television!

But Let's Talk About What Really Matters: THE MUSIC

Anthony Anderson hosting is cute.

Chicago is fabulous.

But don't forget why we're here.

THE MUSIC!

The Soul Train Awards should feel like a celebration of R&B, soul and Black music culture.

I don't want the performances feeling like somebody just picked whatever artist happened to be available that weekend.

Give us vocals.

Give us musicians.

Give us harmonies.

Give us a tribute that makes somebody's auntie stand up in the living room and scream:

"THAT'S MY SONG!"

I want younger artists.

I want established stars.

And PLEASE give the legends their flowers while they're still here to receive them.

Soul Train has decades of musical history to pull from. There is absolutely no reason for the show to feel boring.

And Can We Get a REAL Soul Train Tribute?

Since we're talking about Chicago, I hope the producers really acknowledge the history of Soul Train.

Don't give us a 45-second video package and call it a day.

Absolutely not.

Tell the story.

Show some vintage footage.

Talk about Don Cornelius.

Celebrate the dancers.

Celebrate the fashion.

Celebrate those Soul Train lines that had everybody at home trying to learn moves they had NO BUSINESS attempting.

Some of y'all almost tore up the living-room carpet trying to do those dances.

Don't lie!

Soul Train wasn't simply a television show. It helped create a national platform where Black artists, dancers, fashion and culture could be celebrated week after week.

That's worth more than a quick montage.

Chicago Better Be Part of the Show

And here's another thing.

If you're bringing Soul Train back to Chicago, then USE CHICAGO!

Don't put everybody inside some generic venue where we could be in Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York or somebody's convention center in Ohio.

I want Chicago represented.

Give us Chicago musicians.

Give us Chicago dancers.

Give us Chicago history.

Give us shots of the city.

Let the audience watching at home KNOW where we are.

If you're going to make a big deal about Soul Train returning to the city where its journey began, Chicago shouldn't just be an address on the production paperwork.

Chicago should be part of the personality of the entire show.

Now About Those Performers...

This is where I'm waiting for the real tea.

WHO IS PERFORMING?

Because that's going to determine whether I'm sitting in front of the television early with my snacks ready or checking social media the next morning for the two performances everybody is talking about.

The lineup matters.

And Soul Train has a unique opportunity because R&B audiences have been begging for spaces where the genre can truly be celebrated.

Don't chase every trend.

Don't try to turn Soul Train into another awards show.

Let Soul Train be SOUL TRAIN.

That's the brand!

That's the history!

That's what makes it special.

We Need One Big Tribute

You already know I love a good tribute.

But if you're going to do one, DO IT RIGHT.

Don't bring out 14 people who sing seven seconds apiece until nobody knows what's happening.

Pick the right singers.

Rehearse.

Get the arrangements together.

Get those background singers working.

Get a LIVE BAND.

And somebody better be able to SANG.

Yes, I said SANG.

There's singing.

And then there's SANGING.

Soul Train deserves SANGING.

Anthony, Don't Be Scared to Get a Little Shady

Anthony Anderson has the perfect opportunity to bring some comedy into the night.

Nothing cruel.

Nothing disrespectful.

But a little shade?

Absolutely.

It's an awards show!

If somebody shows up three hours late, joke about it.

If somebody's outfit looks like they fought a curtain and the curtain won, give us a little facial expression.

If somebody gives a 14-minute acceptance speech when they were supposed to have 45 seconds, Anthony better walk back onto that stage holding a pillow.

We need FUN again.

Awards shows have gotten so serious sometimes that everybody looks terrified to move.

Soul Train should feel like a celebration.

This Could Be a Big Moment for Soul Train

The nostalgia is already there.

People remember the music.

They remember the dancers.

They remember the fashion.

They remember Don Cornelius.

They remember that famous Soul Train energy.

Now the challenge is taking that history and creating a 2026 show that doesn't feel like it's simply trying to recreate the past.

Honor the legacy while showcasing today's artists.

That's the sweet spot.

And bringing the celebration back to Chicago gives producers the perfect storyline.

Soul Train is coming home.

Now make the homecoming worth watching.

I'll Be Watching — But I'm Bringing My Shady Notebook!

November 27.

8 p.m. ET/PT.

BET and CBS.

Anthony Anderson hosting.

Soul Train back in Chicago.

Oh, I'm watching.

But I'm watching with QUESTIONS.

Who's performing?

Who's getting honored?

Who's doing the tribute?

Who's giving us the best vocals?

Who's showing up wearing something ridiculous?

Who's going viral the next morning?

And most importantly...

WHO IS GETTING IN THAT SOUL TRAIN LINE?!

Because if we're going back to Chicago, somebody better start dancing.

Your Turn!

What do YOU think about Anthony Anderson hosting the 2026 Soul Train Awards?

Are you excited about Soul Train returning to Chicago?

And here's the big question: Who should perform, and which music legend deserves a tribute this year?

Drop your picks in the comments because I already know we're not all going to agree — and that's where the fun begins!

#SoulTrainAwards #AnthonyAnderson #SoulTrain #Chicago #BET #RBMusic #SoulMusic #BlackMusic #EntertainmentNews #TheTrade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love & Marriage: Huntsville Season 12 Episode 4 — The Past Just Pulled Up With Receipts, Chile!

Love & Marriage: Huntsville Season 12 Episode 4 — The Past Just Pulled Up With Receipts, Chile! Baby, somebody lock the doo...