Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Chicago, I’m Ready for My Close-Up! 🎭

Chicago, I’m Ready for My Close-Up! 🎭

Senior Acting Classes, Theater Opportunities & the Search for My Next Stage

Okay, Chicago, let’s talk!

Sometimes you wake up and realize, “Wait a minute… I used to be on the production side of theater, I’ve taken acting classes, and I actually miss the stage!”

And that is exactly where I am right now.

I’ve been looking around Chicago for acting, theater, and performing-arts opportunities for adults 55 and older. And honey, the search has been interesting. Because apparently finding an acting class is not as simple as walking into a building and saying, “Where's my script?”

You have to search.

You have to call.

You have to ask questions.

And sometimes you have to dig through websites like you're investigating who leaked the Housewives reunion seating chart!

But I’m not giving up.

🎭 YES, I HAVE THEATER EXPERIENCE!

Let me clear something up before anybody starts thinking I'm completely new to this.

I previously worked with the Detroit Opera for approximately two years doing lighting/stage crew work.

That's right.

I wasn't just sitting in the audience eating popcorn and judging everybody's costumes.

I was involved behind the scenes.

Lighting. Production. Following directions. Working with a production team. Being around live performances.

That experience matters.

And I also took senior acting classes at Renaissance Court.

So when I say I want to get back into theater, this isn't some random Tuesday afternoon fantasy.

I've been around the performing arts before.

Now I'm looking for a way to get back in.

🎬 THE GOODMAN THEATRE HAS MY ATTENTION

One of the most interesting opportunities I found is GeNarrations at Goodman Theatre.

And here's the part that made me stop scrolling:

It's FREE.

Yes, FREE!

Because my wallet doesn't need another dramatic storyline.

GeNarrations is designed for Chicago adults 55 and older and focuses on storytelling and performance. You don't have to be a professional actor to participate.

That sounds like a great opportunity for somebody who wants to build confidence, perform, tell stories and connect with other people.

And let's be honest: at this age, we have STORIES!

Some of us could walk into that class with enough material for three seasons and a reunion special.

“Back in Detroit…”

“Let me tell you what happened…”

“Now, I wasn't going to say anything…”

CUT TO COMMERCIAL!

🎭 RENAISSANCE COURT

Then there's Renaissance Court Regional Senior Center at the Chicago Cultural Center.

This place is especially interesting to me because I have a personal connection to Renaissance Court through acting classes.

It's located downtown at 78 E. Washington St.

The center focuses on activities and programs for older adults, including arts and cultural programming.

But here's where the mystery begins.

I couldn't find a currently posted Fall 2026 schedule confirming a specific acting class.

And that's when you have to do something old-fashioned:

Pick up the phone!

Call Renaissance Court at:

312-744-4550

Ask them:

“Do you currently have an acting, theater, drama, improv or performance class for adults 55 and older?”

Because sometimes the class exists but isn't sitting pretty on the website waiting for Google to find it.

And I'm not missing an opportunity because a webpage decided to keep secrets.

🎭 RENAISSANCE ACADEMY

Another possibility is Renaissance Academy at Saint Xavier University.

This program is for adults 55 and older and offers six-week courses, including theater-related courses.

The Fall 2026 session is scheduled to begin in October, with registration taking place in September.

The membership fee is listed at $180 for the 2026–27 school year.

Now, $180 isn't exactly FREE.

Let's not pretend it is.

But if you're serious about taking multiple classes during the year, it could be worth investigating.

The question is whether the specific theater class you're interested in is included in the current session.

So before handing over your money, ask questions.

That's rule number one.

🎬 ETA CREATIVE ARTS FOUNDATION

Then I found ETA Creative Arts Foundation on the South Side.

Now THIS caught my attention.

ETA has adult performing-arts opportunities, including acting for theater, film and television and drama/theater arts.

And since I'm looking for something that isn't necessarily way across town, this is definitely worth investigating.

Call:

773-752-3955

And don't be shy.

Tell them exactly what you're looking for.

Say:

“I'm interested in your adult acting classes. I have previous experience with Detroit Opera and acting classes at Renaissance Court. Do you have a Fall 2026 acting class or performance opportunity available?”

That's a much stronger introduction than:

“Hi… do y'all have acting?”

Give them your background!

πŸŽ₯ AND THEN THERE'S MY YOUTUBE EXPERIENCE

Let's not forget I've been creating entertainment content for years.

I've been doing YouTube since 2011.

I've created thousands of videos.

I've written books.

I've talked about television, music, reality shows and pop culture.

I've spent years communicating with an audience.

That's performance experience too.

Maybe it's not Broadway.

Maybe it's not an opera stage.

But sitting in front of a camera and entertaining people requires confidence, creativity and personality.

And honey, I have personality.

Some days I have enough personality for everybody in the building.

πŸ˜‚ THE BIG QUESTION: DO I REALLY WANT TO ACT AGAIN?

Yes.

But I don't necessarily want to jump into something where somebody hands me a Shakespeare monologue and says:

“Okay, perform!”

Ma'am.

Let's warm up first!

I want an environment where I can learn, meet people, refresh my skills and have fun.

Maybe it's acting.

Maybe it's improv.

Maybe it's storytelling.

Maybe it's theater production.

Maybe I end up backstage again working with lights.

Maybe I end up onstage.

Maybe I do both.

Why limit myself?

πŸ”₯ I'M NOT TOO OLD

And this is the part I really want to emphasize.

55+ does not mean your creative life is over.

Quite the opposite.

You have experiences.

You have stories.

You have memories.

You have opinions.

You have survived things.

You have watched enough drama to write a play about the drama!

And sometimes the next chapter of your life can be more exciting than the first.

I'm not looking at acting as something I should have done years ago.

I'm looking at it as something I can do now.

πŸ“ž SO WHAT'S THE PLAN?

Here's my Chicago theater investigation:

GOODMAN THEATRE

Look into GeNarrations because it's FREE and designed for adults 55+.

RENAISSANCE COURT

Call 312-744-4550 and ask specifically about acting, theater, drama, improv and performance classes.

ETA CREATIVE ARTS FOUNDATION

Call 773-752-3955 and ask about adult acting classes and Fall 2026 opportunities.

RENAISSANCE ACADEMY

Check the Fall 2026 theater offerings and determine whether the $180 yearly membership makes sense for you.

And I'm not stopping there.

Chicago has theaters everywhere.

Somebody has a class.

Somebody has a workshop.

Somebody needs actors.

Somebody needs backstage crew.

And I'm going to find them.

🎭 CHICAGO, WHERE'S MY STAGE?

Maybe this is the beginning of another chapter.

Maybe I take an acting class.

Maybe I audition.

Maybe I get back into lighting.

Maybe I perform.

Maybe I embarrass myself spectacularly and have a funny story to write about afterward.

Either way…

I'm showing up.

Because sitting around saying, “I wish I had tried acting again,” isn't going to get me anywhere.

The stage isn't going to knock on my door.

I have to go looking for it.

And Chicago?

Honey, I'm looking.

πŸ’¬ WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Have you taken an acting class after age 50?

Would you try theater for the first time later in life?

Do you know of a FREE or inexpensive acting class in Chicago for adults 55+?

Have you ever worked backstage, with lighting, theater production or opera?

Drop your recommendations in the comments.

And if you know a Chicago theater looking for actors, storytellers, stage crew or lighting help…

DON'T BE SHY. TELL ME!

Because apparently my theater era isn't over yet.

🎭 The lights are coming on.

And honey…

I'M TRYING TO SEE WHO'S STANDING ON THAT STAGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freda Payne Takes on Nancy Wilson’s “Guess Who I Saw Today” — And She Runs Nancy for Her Money!

Freda Payne Takes on Nancy Wilson’s “Guess Who I Saw Today” — And She Runs Nancy for Her Money! Okay, Freda Payne! I see what yo...