A Different World Is Supposed to Show a Different World—So Where Is the LGBTQ+ Community?
I was watching A Different World, and I made a simple observation: Where is the LGBTQ+ community?
Apparently, that one question got people talking.
One of the reviews I watched on YouTube even pointed out that it was good that I caught that. And my response is: What did people think I was doing while watching the show?
Do you think I'm just sitting there looking at the screen just to say I watched it?
No!
When I watch a television show—especially one called A Different World—I'm looking at the whole world they're presenting to us. I'm paying attention to the characters, relationships, friendships, storylines, campus life, social issues and, yes, who is being represented and who isn't.
That's part of reviewing television.
It's Called A Different World
That's what makes this conversation so interesting to me.
A Different World has always been bigger than just entertainment. The original series gave us conversations about race, class, relationships, college life, friendships, politics, careers and what it meant to be young and Black in America.
So if we're revisiting that world for today's generation, why wouldn't LGBTQ+ students be part of that conversation?
I'm not saying every character needs to be LGBTQ+.
I'm not saying every episode needs to become a lecture about sexuality.
I'm asking something much simpler:
Wouldn't LGBTQ+ students realistically be part of this college world too?
That's what I noticed.
Somebody Said, "It's Too Soon"
Then another lady said something that really had me scratching my head.
She basically said it was "too soon."
Too soon for what?
That's the part I don't understand.
We're talking about college campuses and young adults in the 2020s. LGBTQ+ students didn't suddenly appear yesterday.
And when you're talking about historically Black colleges and universities, conversations around LGBTQ+ students, acceptance, identity, campus culture and tradition aren't imaginary issues. They've been discussed publicly for years.
So why would television be afraid to explore some of those conversations?
You don't have to disrespect the traditions of HBCUs to acknowledge that LGBTQ+ students exist within the Black community.
Both things can be true.
Morehouse and Spelman Make This Conversation Relevant
That's why I immediately thought about Morehouse and Spelman.
Those institutions have been part of broader public conversations around gender, sexuality, identity, inclusion and what changing social expectations mean for historically Black institutions.
So when somebody tells me that bringing LGBTQ+ storylines into a modern college show is somehow "too soon," I'm thinking:
Too soon compared to what?
Television shouldn't have to pretend these conversations don't exist.
In fact, A Different World could be one of the perfect places to explore them because the show has historically dealt with complicated subjects.
Give Us an Actual Character
And here's something important: I don't want them to throw an LGBTQ+ character into the background just so they can say, "See! We have representation!"
No.
Give that person a story.
Maybe it's a student trying to figure out dating while attending an HBCU.
Maybe it's someone dealing with acceptance from friends or family.
Maybe it's a fraternity or sorority storyline that raises questions about tradition and inclusion.
Maybe two students disagree about LGBTQ+ issues and actually have a real conversation instead of the writers turning one person into the villain.
Maybe it's simply an LGBTQ+ student going to class, dating, partying, stressing over money, trying to graduate and figuring out life like everybody else.
Because here's another thing television sometimes forgets:
LGBTQ+ characters don't always need a trauma storyline.
Sometimes somebody can just be gay, lesbian, bisexual or queer and still have regular college problems.
Where is my financial aid?
Why did my professor give me this grade?
Why isn't this person texting me back?
Who ate my food in the dorm refrigerator?
Now THAT is college life! π
Representation Doesn't Have to Take Over the Show
Sometimes people hear "LGBTQ+ representation" and immediately act like you're asking for the entire show to become about sexuality.
Nobody said that.
A show can tell multiple stories at once.
Give us Black students from different economic backgrounds.
Give us students from different parts of the country.
Give us international students.
Give us straight students.
Give us LGBTQ+ students.
Give us students with different religious beliefs.
Give us students who disagree politically.
Give us students who are still figuring themselves out.
That's a different world.
Everybody shouldn't think alike.
Everybody shouldn't dress alike.
Everybody shouldn't date alike.
Everybody shouldn't come from the same type of family.
That's what makes an ensemble show interesting.
And Yes, I'm Actually Watching the Show
I also have to laugh because when somebody says, "You caught that," I'm thinking, of course I caught it!
That's why I'm watching.
When I review television, I'm not just looking for who kissed whom or who got into an argument.
I'm looking at what the writers are trying to say.
I'm looking at who's getting screen time.
I'm looking at which communities are being represented.
I'm looking at whether the show feels like the world we're actually living in.
And sometimes what a television show doesn't show can be just as interesting as what it does.
That's why the absence of obvious LGBTQ+ representation stood out to me.
This Could Actually Create Great Television
Think about the story possibilities.
Imagine a student coming to college and finally feeling comfortable enough to be themselves.
Imagine another student arriving from a conservative household and meeting LGBTQ+ people for the first time.
Imagine roommates having completely different backgrounds and learning from each other.
Imagine discussions about masculinity at an HBCU.
Imagine conversations about Black LGBTQ+ history.
Imagine an LGBTQ+ student who wants to pledge a fraternity or sorority.
Imagine a student balancing sexuality and faith.
Imagine a bisexual character whose storyline doesn't revolve around everybody assuming they're confused.
Those stories could be funny, serious, romantic, messy and dramatic.
In other words, they could fit perfectly into A Different World.
Don't Tell Me It's "Too Soon"
That's still the comment that gets me.
"Too soon."
It's 2026.
How long exactly are we supposed to wait?
Another five years?
Ten years?
Twenty?
LGBTQ+ people are already part of Black families, Black colleges, churches, workplaces, entertainment and everyday life.
Talking about that reality isn't attacking anybody.
It's simply acknowledging that the community exists.
And a television show doesn't have to tell viewers what to believe. Good writing can introduce characters with different experiences and allow the audience to think about what they're watching.
That's what A Different World did at its best.
My Final Thoughts
I didn't bring up LGBTQ+ representation because I was trying to find something wrong with the show.
I brought it up because I was paying attention.
There's a difference.
If you're going to bring A Different World into a new generation, then let us actually see a different world.
Show today's Black college experience in all its complexity.
Give us tradition.
Give us history.
Give us romance.
Give us comedy.
Give us disagreements.
Give us generational differences.
Give us straight students.
And yes, give us LGBTQ+ students too.
Because they are already part of the world.
The television show just needs to acknowledge it.
Now I Want to Hear From You
Do you think A Different World should include more LGBTQ+ representation?
What kind of LGBTQ+ storyline would you like to see?
And for the people saying it's "too soon"—too soon for what?
Drop your thoughts in the comments, because I already know this conversation is going to get interesting. π☕
No comments:
Post a Comment