Monday, October 5, 2026

EJ Johnson Having a Breakdown—or Is This Just Crazy Rich People Problems? And Is He Still Mad That Reality TV Didn’t Make Him the Next Kardashian?

EJ Johnson Having a Breakdown—or Is This Just Crazy Rich People Problems? And Is He Still Mad That Reality TV Didn’t Make Him the Next Kardashian?

Chileeeee… somebody bring the champagne, the designer luggage, and maybe a reality-TV producer because EJ Johnson has me asking QUESTIONS.

Is EJ Johnson going through some kind of breakdown?

Is he simply frustrated with Hollywood?

Or are we witnessing what I like to call Crazy Rich People Problems™?

Because when your daddy is Magic Johnson, your family has money-money, you have access to fashion shows, celebrities, luxury vacations and rooms most of us would need a credit check just to walk into… your version of “life isn’t going the way I planned” might look a little different from everybody else’s.

And before anybody starts typing angry comments: I am NOT diagnosing EJ Johnson with anything. We don’t know what is happening privately in somebody’s mental or emotional life based on social media, television appearances, gossip or a few headlines.

But baby, we CAN talk about the career.

And that is where this tea gets interesting.

EJ Johnson Was Supposed to Be THAT Reality-TV Star

Remember when EJ first started popping up in the reality-TV world?

The fashion.

The confidence.

The personality.

The famous last name.

The celebrity friendships.

EJ walked into a room like the room had been waiting for him.

He became known to reality audiences through Rich Kids of Beverly Hills, and eventually EJ got his own spin-off, EJNYC.

On paper?

That should have WORKED.

A young, wealthy, fashionable Johnson living his fabulous life in New York City?

HELLO!

That sounds like reality-TV gold.

Give us fashion week.

Give us dating.

Give us celebrity parties.

Give us arguments over absolutely nothing while somebody is wearing a $7,000 coat.

Give us somebody storming out of a restaurant screaming:

“I DON'T NEED THIS!”

Then getting into a black SUV that costs more than my childhood home.

THAT is reality television.

But EJNYC didn't turn EJ into the giant reality-TV superstar some viewers may have expected.

And that is where I wonder whether there might still be some disappointment.

Was EJ Expecting a Kardashian-Level Career?

This is where we're getting messy.

EJ had many of the ingredients.

Famous family?

CHECK.

Money?

CHECK.

Fashion?

CHECK.

Connections?

CHECK.

Personality?

CHECK.

Access to celebrities?

DOUBLE CHECK.

So what happened?

Because there was absolutely a world where EJ Johnson could have become one of the biggest personalities on reality television.

I could have seen EJ hosting reunion shows.

Doing fashion commentary.

Sitting front row at every major fashion week.

Hosting a talk show.

Judging competitions.

Launching clothing.

Producing reality shows.

Giving us a lifestyle series.

Maybe even creating a modern version of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Instead, the EJ reality-TV machine never became that enormous franchise.

And if EJ believed television was going to become his kingdom?

Baby, I could understand being irritated.

Because imagine being told for years that you're fabulous, charismatic, unique and television-ready.

Then Hollywood basically says:

“Cute. Next.”

OUCH.

But Did the Show Really “Flop”?

Now hold on.

Reality-TV fans LOVE calling anything that doesn't last ten seasons a flop.

Sometimes a show doesn't continue because ratings aren't strong enough.

Sometimes the network changes direction.

Sometimes production costs matter.

Sometimes executives simply decide something isn't working.

And sometimes television is just brutal.

A cancellation doesn't automatically mean the person at the center of the show wasn't talented.

But EJNYC didn't become a long-running franchise.

That's the reality.

So I'm wondering:

Did EJ take that personally?

Because I might!

If I walked into a network meeting thinking I was about to become the next major reality personality and they canceled my show?

I'd be sitting in my penthouse staring out the window dramatically.

“HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO ME?”

Meanwhile somebody downstairs is trying to figure out how they're paying ComEd.

That's why I call it Crazy Rich People Problems.

Different tax bracket.

Same disappointment.

Being Magic Johnson's Son Has to Be Complicated

Here's another layer people don't always consider.

EJ isn't just EJ.

He's Magic Johnson's son.

That name walks into the room before EJ does.

Imagine having a father who is internationally famous.

A basketball legend.

A businessman.

A cultural icon.

No matter what EJ accomplishes, somebody somewhere is going to say:

“That's Magic Johnson's kid.”

That can open doors.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

But it can also create an enormous shadow.

How do you build an identity when your father already has one of the most recognizable identities in American sports?

EJ chose a completely different lane.

Fashion.

Entertainment.

Television.

Pop culture.

And I respect that.

He didn't try to become Magic Johnson 2.0.

But when you're born into that level of privilege, people also expect greatness immediately.

Regular people are allowed to experiment.

Rich celebrity children experiment publicly.

And everybody watches.

If your project fails?

We know.

If your show gets canceled?

We know.

If your career slows down?

We know.

And if you look irritated one Tuesday afternoon?

The internet says you're having a breakdown.

That's not always fair.

Maybe EJ Isn't Having a Breakdown at All

Here's another possibility:

Maybe EJ is FINE.

Maybe we are the dramatic ones.

Maybe he's sitting somewhere right now drinking something expensive and wondering why strangers on the internet think he's falling apart.

That's the funny thing about celebrity culture.

A celebrity changes their appearance?

“Something is wrong!”

They disappear?

“Something happened!”

They post too much?

“Something is wrong!”

They stop posting?

“Something happened!”

They gain weight?

Concern.

Lose weight?

Concern.

Wear sweatpants?

BREAKDOWN!

Sometimes somebody just put on sweatpants.

That's why I'm not going to declare EJ mentally unwell.

We don't know that.

But career frustration?

That is absolutely something worth discussing.

Hollywood Might Not Know What to Do With EJ Johnson

This is where I think the bigger conversation is.

Where exactly does Hollywood place EJ?

Reality personality?

Fashion personality?

Host?

Actor?

Socialite?

Influencer?

Celebrity kid?

EJ has enough personality to fit into several lanes, but sometimes having too many possible lanes means entertainment executives don't know which box to put you in.

And Hollywood LOVES boxes.

They want to know exactly how to sell you.

EJ has never been easy to categorize.

That can be powerful.

It can also make building a mainstream entertainment career harder.

Personally, I think EJ could still have a fantastic career as a host or pop-culture personality.

Put EJ at a table talking about celebrity fashion.

Give him a microphone.

Give him some champagne.

Then let him TALK.

I don't necessarily need another show about EJ walking around being rich.

I want opinions.

I want stories.

I want shade.

I want EJ reacting to celebrity fashion disasters.

I want:

“Baby, WHO told you to wear that?”

That's the EJ show I'd watch.

Reality Television Has Changed

There's another problem.

The reality-TV landscape EJ entered isn't the same landscape we have now.

Today everybody is a reality star.

TikTok created reality stars.

YouTube created reality stars.

Instagram created reality stars.

People are becoming famous from livestreaming in their bedroom.

You no longer need E! to give you a television show to build an audience.

That's actually GOOD news for EJ.

If traditional television didn't give him the career he wanted, forget traditional television.

Create the show yourself.

Imagine EJ Johnson on YouTube every week reviewing celebrity fashion.

EJ reacting to the Met Gala?

I'm there.

EJ reviewing Housewives reunion dresses?

CLICK.

EJ discussing Fashion Week?

CLICK.

EJ talking about celebrity children trying to create identities outside their famous parents?

DOUBLE CLICK.

EJ doesn't need to wait for some executive in an office to decide he's television-worthy.

The internet changed that game.

But Does EJ Even Want Fame Like That Anymore?

This is another question nobody asks.

Maybe EJ's priorities changed.

What somebody wanted in their twenties isn't necessarily what they want later.

Maybe the reality-TV dream isn't the dream anymore.

Maybe EJ doesn't want cameras following him around.

Maybe he enjoys having some privacy.

Maybe he wants fashion without reality television.

Maybe he wants entertainment without exposing every relationship and argument.

Because reality TV can be FUN until producers start asking:

“So… who are you dating?”

“Can we film your argument?”

“Can your ex come to dinner?”

“Can your mother discuss this on camera?”

Suddenly you're looking at the producer like:

“Wait a minute. I thought we were filming me shopping.”

WELCOME TO REALITY TELEVISION.

And Let's Talk About Privilege

Now I'm going to say something some people won't like.

EJ is privileged.

Extremely privileged.

That doesn't mean EJ can't have real feelings.

Money doesn't prevent disappointment.

Fame doesn't prevent insecurity.

Privilege doesn't mean somebody can't struggle emotionally.

But privilege DOES give you resources most people don't have.

That's important.

If a television opportunity disappears, EJ isn't necessarily facing the same consequences as somebody whose entire livelihood depended on that paycheck.

That doesn't make the disappointment fake.

It simply puts it into perspective.

That's why I'm laughing at the “Crazy Rich People Problems” angle while still recognizing there could be genuine frustration underneath it.

Two things can be true.

You can be privileged AND disappointed.

You can have money AND feel rejected.

You can have famous parents AND wonder whether you've accomplished enough on your own.

Money buys a lot.

But apparently it still can't force E! to order another season.

OOOP!

EJ Needs a Comeback

Now HERE is what I want.

An EJ Johnson comeback.

Not EJNYC 2.0.

Something different.

Give EJ a show called:

EJ Has Something to Say.

Every week, EJ sits down looking fabulous and talks about fashion, celebrities, reality TV and pop culture.

Bring in guests.

Bring in designers.

Bring in reality stars.

Bring in famous celebrity kids.

And PLEASE give him a segment where he rates red-carpet looks.

Imagine EJ holding up scorecards.

“Eight.”

“Four.”

“Baby… negative two.”

I WOULD WATCH.

Hollywood, call me.

I have ideas.

Stop Calling Every Celebrity Moment a Breakdown

And here's where I'm putting my serious hat on for approximately 37 seconds.

The internet throws the word “breakdown” around too easily.

Somebody crying isn't automatically having a breakdown.

Somebody being angry isn't automatically having a breakdown.

Somebody looking different isn't automatically having a breakdown.

And somebody having career disappointment definitely doesn't mean they're mentally unstable.

We can gossip.

We can speculate about career moves.

We can discuss reality-TV failures.

But mental health is something we should be careful about declaring when we don't actually know what's happening.

Okay.

Serious hat OFF.

PUT THE WIG BACK ON.

So What's Really Going On With EJ?

My theory?

EJ may simply be at a career crossroads.

Reality television introduced him to a huge audience, but the show didn't become a Kardashian-sized empire.

And maybe that's okay.

The biggest mistake EJ could make would be trying to recreate what worked years ago.

Don't chase EJNYC.

Create EJ 2.0.

Older.

Sharper.

Funnier.

More experienced.

And hopefully MESSIER.

Because if you're going back to reality television, EJ, I need some STORIES.

Don't give me six episodes of shopping.

I need:

Friendship drama.

Dating drama.

Fashion drama.

Family conversations.

Celebrity tea.

Career frustration.

And at least ONE dinner where somebody throws a napkin down and leaves.

I have standards.

Final Thoughts

So is EJ Johnson having a breakdown?

We have no factual basis to say that.

Is EJ crazy?

Again, absolutely not something I'm declaring.

Is EJ rich?

BABY.

That Johnson money isn't exactly hiding.

Could EJ be disappointed that his reality-TV career didn't become something bigger?

Possibly—but unless EJ says that himself, that's speculation.

What we CAN say is that EJ had a major opportunity with EJNYC, and the show didn't become a long-running franchise.

But that doesn't have to be the end of the story.

Actually, I think EJ is sitting on a second act.

The entertainment world has changed.

He doesn't need permission anymore.

Pick up the camera.

Turn on the microphone.

Put on the outfit.

And TALK.

Because if EJ Johnson decides to come back to reality television?

I'll watch episode one.

But EJ…

Baby…

BRING THE MESS.

YOUR TURN!

Do you think EJ Johnson deserves another reality show?

Was EJNYC canceled too soon?

Do you think Hollywood simply didn't know what to do with EJ?

Or do you think EJ should forget reality television completely and build his own YouTube or fashion platform?

And most importantly:

Would YOU watch an EJ Johnson comeback show in 2026?

Drop your opinion in the comments because I already know this conversation is about to get MESSY.

And if you love reality-TV reviews, celebrity gossip, shady commentary and pop-culture conversations, follow The Reality Rundown for more.

Because around here?

We don't just watch the mess—we REVIEW IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Drama Has Taken Over YouTube, Instagram & TikTok — And Baby, Everybody’s an Author Now!

Book Drama Has Taken Over YouTube, Instagram & TikTok — And Baby, Everybody’s an Author Now! Baby, what is going on in the ...