Martha Stewart on RHONY? Baby, It’s a YES From Me! ππ
Okay, Bravo, now THIS is the kind of foolishness I can get behind!
I was watching The Real Housewives of New York City, and Martha Stewart popped into the mix, and baby… why was I immediately entertained?
I wasn’t expecting Martha to have me sitting there smiling, laughing, and thinking, “Wait a minute… why does this actually work?”
Because Martha Stewart is MARTHA STEWART.
We know her for cooking.
We know her for decorating.
We know her for entertaining.
We know her for making a dinner table look so beautiful that you’re scared to sit down and actually eat at it.
But Martha around the RHONY ladies?
Chile!
That is a completely different recipe.
And I’m eating it up.
MARTHA IS GIVING FRIEND OF THE SHOW ENERGY
I’m going to say it right now:
Martha Stewart is giving me honorary “Friend of the Housewives” energy.
LOL!
Now I’m not saying Martha needs to be holding an apple in the opening credits tomorrow morning. Let’s not get carried away.
But would I complain if she appeared every now and then?
Absolutely NOT.
Because there’s something funny about seeing somebody with Martha’s reputation and personality mixed into the Housewives universe.
RHONY is already built around New York personalities, money, fashion, social circles, friendships, arguments, dinners, events and women trying to figure out who said what about whom.
Then here comes Martha.
Calm.
Collected.
Funny.
And seemingly unbothered.
That contrast is what makes it entertaining to me.
Some Housewives enter a room like they have been rehearsing their entrance in the Uber for 45 minutes.
Martha can just show up and be Martha.
That’s enough.
SHE DOESN’T HAVE TO TRY SO HARD
And THAT is what I like.
Reality television has changed over the years.
Sometimes you can practically see somebody thinking:
“Okay, I need a viral moment.”
“I need a meme.”
“I need to start an argument.”
“I need to say something shady.”
“I need to throw a drink.”
“I need to storm away from the table.”
Baby, RELAX!
Sometimes the funniest reality television moments happen when people aren’t obviously trying to create reality television moments.
That’s what I enjoyed about Martha.
She has a natural presence.
She doesn’t need to scream across the restaurant.
She doesn’t need to toss a glass.
She doesn’t need to flip a table.
She doesn’t need to yell, “SECURITY!”
She can just sit there and say something with that Martha Stewart delivery, and somehow it becomes hilarious.
That’s a skill.
THE SHADE IS SERVED ON FINE CHINA
Martha’s kind of shade feels different.
It’s not paper-plate shade.
It’s not plastic-fork shade.
It’s not “we ran out of napkins at the barbecue” shade.
This is Martha Stewart.
The shade is being served on fine china with freshly cut flowers sitting in the middle of the table.
πππ
She can say something completely calmly, and you’re sitting at home wondering:
“Wait… was that shade?”
YES!
I think it was!
And that’s my favorite kind.
You don’t always need to scream to read somebody.
Sometimes the quiet delivery makes it even funnier.
SHE FEELS RELATABLE IN A STRANGE WAY
This might sound crazy because Martha Stewart obviously lives a very different lifestyle than most of us.
But I still found her relatable.
Not necessarily because I’m waking up tomorrow morning to prepare a seven-course brunch in a kitchen bigger than somebody’s apartment.
Absolutely not.
I’m talking about personality.
There’s something relatable about somebody who has reached a point where they know who they are.
Martha has been famous forever.
She doesn’t need RHONY.
And THAT is exactly why she can be fun on RHONY.
There’s no desperation.
She doesn’t have to create a storyline.
She doesn’t have to worry about whether she’ll get another season.
She doesn’t have to suddenly invent an argument because the cameras showed up.
She can just participate, have fun and go home.
Meanwhile, the Housewives may still be discussing what happened three episodes later.
π
MARTHA COULD WALK INTO THE RHONY REUNION AND CAUSE CHAOS
Now imagine Martha Stewart sitting at a RHONY reunion.
Andy Cohen turns toward her.
“Martha, what did you think when she said—”
Martha:
“I didn’t care.”
END SCENE.
πππ
Commercial break!
Because sometimes that’s all you need.
Can you imagine everybody arguing for 20 minutes and Martha sitting there looking like she’s mentally planning tomorrow’s centerpiece?
Then somebody asks for her opinion.
Martha drops one sentence.
Everybody gets quiet.
THAT would be television.
RHONY NEEDS DIFFERENT TYPES OF PERSONALITIES
One thing I’ve always believed about reality television is that everybody cannot have the same personality.
If everybody is loud, nobody is loud.
If everybody is shady, the shade stops being surprising.
If everybody is fighting for camera time, eventually you can feel the competition through the television.
You need different energies.
You need the messy one.
You need the funny one.
You need the fashionable one.
You need the rich one.
You need the one who keeps receipts.
You need the one who forgets what she said five minutes ago.
And sometimes you need somebody like Martha Stewart who can float into the situation and completely change the energy.
That’s what makes an ensemble show work.
PLEASE DON’T OVERDO IT, BRAVO
Now here’s where I’m going to get a little shady.
Bravo, if people enjoy Martha, PLEASE don’t immediately overproduce the situation.
π
You know how television works.
Fans like somebody for five minutes, and suddenly producers think:
“LET’S PUT THEM EVERYWHERE!”
No.
Sometimes less is more.
No comments:
Post a Comment